Monday, October 1, 2007

The newest member of our family . . .

Yes, that's right - we are finally pet owners! We had promised Lauren months ago that if she would learn to go poop in the potty she could get a pet fish. She had mastered the art of peeing in the potty months earlier but absolutely refused to go poop in the potty. But we finally found something she wanted badly enough to entice her - a pet fish! She has talked about nothing else. Everywhere we went people heard about how she would get a pet fish when she could go poo poo in the potty. So tonight, after a full week of no accidents, we went and bought a fish. She had a hard time choosing between a gold fish and a beta fish but finally decided on a dark blue beta fish and she loves it. When we got home with the fish we asked her what she wanted to name him and at first she said, "nopqrstuv". I told her no, we couldn't call the fish a series of letters. Dave suggested Bubbles and she liked that for awhile but then she got really excited, ran to her room, grabbed her flash cards and pulled out the picture of the Walrus and said, "that, that his new name, Walrus". So this is our new pet fish, Walrus. She couldn't wait to feed him. She kept saying on the drive home from the store that he was hungry and needed his dinner. And tonight we put her to bed but then she walked out and said she couldn't go to sleep without Walrus being in her room.



This is just a funny picture of Lauren from last week. I just thought she was so funny wearing her sunglasses around the house and doing these funny poses!



That's about it for us. Dave had a crazy week last week taking his Major Comprehensive Exam but it is now over and now we just wait to make sure he passed (I am sure he did but it will be a big relief when they tell us for sure). So last week was mostly Lauren and I trying to find fun things to do to keep ourselves busy. We did have a fun Sat. morning visiting Amana (for those of you not familiar with Iowa, it is a German settlement) for their annual Oktoberfest. We went with some friends and our girls had fun watching the parade and getting a big bag of candy. Then we went to some of the shops and bought some hot kettle corn! YUM!

10 comments:

Boss said...

Hey Tricia! I found your blog through Lindsay's. It's great to see ya'll are doing well. And Lauren is as cute as ever! Congratulations on the new fish. And on the pooping in the potty. That's a feat we haven't yet mastered at our house! (And by "we" I mean Sam, of course. Shane and I do OK.)

Take care!

Heather O'Brien said...

Hooray!!! So glad you got a fish for Lauren. I'm glad you didn't take me up on the offer of taking our two goldfish because they both died. Hopefully you have better luck than us! That is so cute though. As always, Lauren is adorable! I bet your so glad to have the test over!!!

Anonymous said...

Lauren is hilarious! What a personality. We hope she will come home teaching with Dave more often. Good luck with Walrus the fish!

Summertime Designs said...

Tricia, that is so awesome that you got Lauren a fish. When I was a little girl I ALWAYS had a beta fish...they are the best, and they're not too messy! Two things I want to say (which you may already know).

1) Make sure you clean the water however often you're supposed to. When I was little, I didn't do a good job at this and so the water lost oxygen and my fish jumped out of the bowl. I was terrified when I woke up in the morning and the fish was out of water on my dresser. He must not have been out of the water too long because he survived. (My children like me to tell them this story for some odd reason)

2)A Beta is also called a Siamese Fighting Fish. If you put a mirror up next to the fish bowl, it thinks it is looking at another fish and he will want to look as big and mean as possible. It's cool to watch his tail spread out, and then he has these cool flaps near his cheeks that open up!

Okay, I'm obviously a little bit excited about beta fish. I will let you go now!

The Hobbs Family said...

Trish we had a beta fish live for 2 years which I thought was a major accomplishment but I've since learned it's a great fish for kids because they're virtually unkillable. Goldfish on the other hand, Greg calls them penny fish because they're so cheap and you go thru so many. Tell Lauren congrats! And I'm glad she likes my lipstick, but I deleted that blog. Better to just keep mom and dad in the dark about some things I decided. Love, Tiff

Lisa Harris said...

Tric..applesauce. I NEVER use oil in cakes or brownies. I also use diet soda sometimes..applesauce is a better option though. I only did egg whites..no yolks and you can't even tell. They were really great!

Bullard Family said...

You gave into the fish idea?! Looks like fun. I am so sorry that I bailed on you with the firestation this week. I had kindove a crazy week and Thurs was not the best day. I hope you found someone else for the tickets. Thanks, you are so sweet!
Andrea

Linz said...

Love her Tric...she is so stinking cute and I can totally tell that she is completely FULL of personality! LOVE IT!

Joni said...

Our fish haven't lived very long! My kids actually liked watching us flush them down the toilet! I guess that means I shouldn't have any pets!

Sarah said...

Lauren is so cute and funny! I love that you got her a beta fish. They are so pretty but yet so stinky and gross when you have to clean the bowl. Anyways fun fun fun stuff.