Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Surviving the Floods

I wish I could post some pictures of all the flooding we are having here in Iowa but that is our one casulty from this flood - our high speed internet went out last week and it may be another week before it is fixed. But that has honestly been our biggest inconvenience through all of this craziness and I almost feel guilty because so many others have lost so much!

Dave isn't allowed up to his office this week so he has been trying to work from home using the slow dial-up internet. We have obviously been avoiding down town IC and Coralville but we live so far from the river that we can still go to most of the places we ususally go to - The Children's Museum, the parks, the outdoor pool, swim and gymnastic classes, etc. We do miss going down to the IC Library and we could go if we really wanted but we don't want to add to the congestion . We are glad that the roads are starting to open up again. We can now drive North to Cedar Rapids and the I-80 East is now open again too. Since Dave can't go to school I thought maybe we should just go down to Nauvoo for a couple of days and go to the Temple and just enjoy Nauvoo but Dave didn't want to travel south because that is where all this water is flowing and the communities south of us are now starting to flood. So we are just hanging out here for the week. Dave should be able to get back into his office on Monday - luckily his office is at the top of the hill directly above the IMU (which is unfortunately flooded).

We just wish we could have done more to help out during all the flooding. I am 5 months pregnant and can't help with the sandbagging and Dave is on crutches so he couldn't help either. We are hoping we can find a way to help once the clean up efforts start. We are just anxious for this water to recede so we can get the clean up started! The Cedar River in Cedar Rapids receded very quickly but the Iowa River will be much slower (last I heard they expect water to continue to pour over the spillway for around another 10 days)!! So even though the water isn't rising anymore it may still be weeks before the water is out of the buildings and clean up efforts may begin. Thanks for all those that have asked how we are doing and are concerned for those of us here in Iowa.

7 comments:

Annie said...

I'm glad to hear you guys are ok. I was wondering...

Anonymous said...

I've been checking your blog everyday to see if you'd posted anything cause I was starting to worry that you had been caught up in all the flooding. It's great to hear you're doing well and that you're all okay. Take care!

Anonymous said...

I've been checking your blog everyday to see if you'd posted anything cause I was starting to worry that you had been caught up in all the flooding. It's great to hear you're doing well and that you're all okay. Take care!

Boss said...

I've been watching the news reports and photos online--it's pretty harrowing. So I'm glad to hear you're OK. Stay dry!

Jill T said...

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you're in the safe zone!

Traeger Tribe said...

So glad to hear you guys are ok!

Michelle & Steve said...

Wow, the flooding sounds intense. I'm glad that you guys are okay. And congratulations on another girl! Two girls are so much fun; it is so great to see what good friends they become.